Monday, December 6, 2010

Out with one season and in with another


Well, the final event of the year is over and done. A great time was had by all, and we got lots of great footage to assemble our short montage video. Of particular note I should commend the Sea Cadets of the Tophatters Squadron - you motivate me! The enthusiasm was fantastic, and even in the cold weather the high energy level warmed the smiles of everyone you worked with. BZ!
.
One of my favorite moments from the event was late Saturday night, sitting around the campfire enjoying the gently falling snow. Haven't been camping in the snow in quite some time, and that was fun!

More about this past weekend's event as the official after action reports come in.

BT

I didn't realize until last night how little I'd had to eat or drink at the event. Part of it had to do with being so busy and supervising all that was going on around me, but I put so little focus on myself that I had little more than a small bowl of soup and some sea biscuit to eat during the day, and no more than a pint of water. Unsat. Note to self - take better care of yourself and stop worrying about everyone else. OR, I could just say that I was doing my patriotic duty and chock it up as one more thing that makes me awesome. Nope, still unsat.

BT
We now roll into our annual MAINTENANCE SEASON! Monomoy No. 1 is being cleaned out in preparation for layup and 'depot' level maintenance, while the restoration of Monomoys No. 2 and 3 will swing into high gear. The 3-pdr gun will undoubtedly get a new coat of blackening and the carriage a new coat of paint before she's sealed up for the season and stowed out of the way.

Needless to say, I give myself a few weeks to clear for action and we'll begin the hardcore work that makes NHS tick. By the time the season wraps up in April, we should - and I stress should - be well ahead in material inventory from the same point last year.

NNNN

No comments: