Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The search for inspiration


Last night the wind really began kicking up, and ever since I've been on something of a hot-standby for damage control. I stayed in, put on a movie, and kept a weather eye toward the Dockyard.

There are two problem areas - the first being that Monomoys No. 2 and 3 are under tarp tents. With the howling wind I've been waiting to hear the tremendous rip and crash of structural failure (I know exactly what it sounds like- we've been here before). The tents are well-staked to the ground and I don't fear they'll blow away, rather that the cheap plastic will suddenly burst into tatters. Second, the 'temporary structure' that's tacked onto the rear of the Framing Bay, which is a wood frame structure covered in heavy duty plastic that needs to be fed staples on a weekly basis. It's done well so far but with winds gusting over 40 mph I get nervous.

Luckily for me, everything held up great last night.

Of course, my hot-standby wasn't all it was cracked up to be - there were a few times where I thought I heard something outside and I dashed up, threw on my Carhart and made for the door. Of course, crossing the threshold I promptly lost all enthusiasm for making the round and dashed out and back as quickly as possible, teeth chattering. I am such a wimp for the cold these days - and to think I grew up in upstate NY and used to laugh at people who behaved like I do now. My blood is thinning. I'm getting old. You kids don't know what cold is! Sit down and shut up!
Whoa. Anyway...

I find myself needing to dig deep these days - to keep motivated and committed to the plan. At least until the volunteers come back in January, that is. At times like these, I psych myself up with some motivational speech - to myself.

You are now reading this in Morgan Freeman's voice (and yes, I know its a Bill Pullman line, but its more inspirational this way).

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

Woo hoo yeah, um, okay.

It's going to be a long winter.

NNNN

No comments: