Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why books "for dummies" usually apply to me

As our team continues work on re-tooling the NHS website, I'm remembering why the ever-popular "for dummies" series of books are sometimes my best friend.  As with most NHS projects, we always finish with fewer volunteers than we started with, and it's usually up to yours trully to fill in the blanks.  This time, we're just plain short-handed all around, and so while our web guru Dave Lotz manages the conversion of our pages to ASP format, it's fallen to me - as final approval authority for content - to learn HTML so I can input my own writing to the website.  In previous editions, we've had skilled volunteers who do this without blinking, but as we spread ourselves thinner and thinner running around on various projects, I get to re-discover my role as supreme idler and slack remover.

Oddly enough, we used to pick on green hands by sending them to find a "can of slack".  I didn't realize until just now that my skills can be reduced to the fictional cleaner for an imaginary substance.  Slack remover.  Following?  Nah, it's too early for everyone.

But I digest.  The skill of using HTML is a valuable one, and one that will undoubtedly come in handy in the future, and so as usual I put my shoulder in and push through.  The next scheduled evolution is where this actually becomes fun for a while, followed by the realization that I have other work to do and can't stick exclusively with it.  What can I say but spice of life and all that.  I love my job.

BT

Tonight at the Dockyard, our 1900 working session will be a "sit around and talk" session - as we develop some new planning concepts and get more of our volunteers gainfully employed.  These are usually fun and very productive, so I'm looking forward to it.

For now, I'm going back to HMTL for dummies - I'll be seeing some of you tonight!

NNNN

No comments: