Friday, September 10, 2010

Why reenactors both me so much, and 9/11 commemorators for that matter

THIS POST IS THE OPINION OF MYSELF AND DOES NOT REPRESENT THE OFFICIAL OPINIONS OF THE NAVAL HERITAGE SOCIETY, ITS LEADERSHIP OR ITS MEMBERS.


I am William King and this is my personal expression.


I recently visited an antique militaria show in Richmond, and while I was there balking at the ludicrous prices of most items I ran into some WWII navy reenactors. They actually had a good thing going, they were a "recruiting party" and were typing up enlistment forms, taking pictures and pretending to do various admin jobs. The whole group consisted of people dressed as a CPO, a Lieutenant and there were a handful of kids in enlisted uniforms doing various "duties". It was a cool getup and many people had fun. But I couldn't escape the nausea looking at the Chief's poor insignia placement or the Lieutenant's wrinkled uniform and tan timberlands. Is this what it is like to be reenacted? I've often thought of what historical folks would think if they could see us today - would they think we're being silly? I have to think so, based on my own small experiences, such as this one. The problem, or at least the contradiction, is that I'm a reenactor myself.


The point is, that as often as we'd like to think we're honoring our historical predecessors, we aren't. We are doing historical activities to educate ourselves, each other, and the public who see us, and learn more about history by diving into the context of another time in contrast of the modern world. It is silly, but I like it, and I admit it is all about me, my friends and anyone else who'll join in. Sorry, dead historical figures. But at least those people are dead, and probably could care less about my funny clothing and strange fascinations.

I had a great day today, very productive and full of good things. That is, of course, until I started reading tonight about all the 9/11 commemorations, where everyone and their brother decided to jump up on a podium and hawk the anniversary and their own agendas with it. You bastards. My stomach turns all over again, like looking at the goofs in navy khaki all over again. Go grease your skids with someone else's grief people!

I, in the words of Xeni Jardin, am "Honoring 9/11 by refraining from... ...using the event as a mule to carry the cause/burden of my choosing".

WK

No comments: