Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Framing stock is IN!



And that means we'll be in the shop tonight at 1900, continuing preparations for re-framing Monomoy No. 3. On tonight's work list, we'll be removing the thwart clamps amidships and building the jigs to hold the hot frames in place in the boat.

BT

Yesterday was the first time I'd ever been to a sawmill. Northern Neck Lumber in Warsaw, VA is one of the few mills in the Commonwealth that still mills furniture-grade hardwood, and their management permitted me to pull stock straight off their "green chain" - where the freshly sawn timber comes out of the mill and is categorized and sorted before heading to the kiln. What this means for me is that I can pick the best framing stock right off the line, green as grass, for $1.50 a board foot. Not too shabby - especially when you consider that everyone in Tidewater told me that I'd never find such a thing at any cost.

Special thanks to Judy and the staff on the green chain for all of your help! I'm sure we'll be back soon.

NNNN

No comments: