Friday, July 23, 2010

The great products we're pushing...


No fullbore Friday today, sorry kids. I'm tired. Not tired as in I need sleep but tired as in worn, as in I've been breaking my backside all over creation and want a rest. When I get to this point the rancor starts coming out, I get cynical and a little off-kilter. Some of you reading know what I'm talking about. Though if you've ever seen me grumpy and been afraid, you'll not want to be anywhere near Amityville this weekend.
.
Hard work continues around the Dockyard, though this weekend I am taking a little R&R and headed west to look into a boat of my own (does this boat crap ever end? What can I say, but I'm obsessed).
.
There has been some discussion lately about the type of product we're producing, not for our members on whom we are continually focussed, but for the public at large. So far, we've been actors of sorts, dressed in historical costumes and interpreting history, to whatever end we're able. And we have fun doing that. We also offer participation, but that enters into the realm of membership, rather than public product.
.
Of prime interest is the upcoming War of 1812 Bicentennial, which is sure to be a major coup for general interest in US history over the next several years. There is much talk of adapting our costumes for 1812 representation, and obviously most of our equipment (boats, basic clothing etc) is just fine for that. There is also much closed-conversation brain storming about breaking out of the funny costume mold. After all, it seems that every time we do something out of costume, we end up with more volunteers, who then decide "wow, this is great - now all we need are costumes" and tada - more costumed participants. But there is so much more that can be done with this no-costume idea, and I'm eager to pursue those, especially as the heat of the Pirate Festival nearly did me in.
.
And of course to all of the other groups who kind-of do what we do, I'm sure it looks the same - the upstart guys who don't know how to do it right are pushing a pretty product ahead of their evil agenda to topple the world. Yeah, guys - that pic is for you!
.
NNNN

No comments: