Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Do you remember Roger Mudd?



If you've ever been up in the wee hours watching the history channel, or you can remember seeing old documentaries in school, you've probably seen Roger Mudd narrating or as a reporter. He had that old stoic 'stand by for nap time' sort of voice that always reminds me of my high school days when the rest of the class would sleep through the videos our history teacher would show. Half the time I would do the same, having seen the video already - or a better one on the same subject. Anyway. Tangents are getting longer - think I need to see a doctor.

So, I was surfing the internet this morning for some resources on the War of 1812 on Lake Ontario. After spending some time sailing aboard the Brig Niagara in Erie, PA and reading countless articles about Oliver Hazard Perry and the Battle of Put-in-Bay (Battle of Lake Erie) - the actions on Lake Ontario seem rather overshadowed in modern memory. Being from Rochester NY originally I studied Isaac Chaauncey and Melancthon Woolsey as a kid, and followed the little brown historical road signs with interest wherever my family went. And though there is no doubting the significance of the American naval buildup and actions on Lake Ontario, whenever I find something on it I can't help but be suprised - as in "oh, you remember" like someone remembering my birthday.

Well today, in preparation for a series of blogs on naval "build ship, then go fight" projects, I've decided to revive old Roger Mudd, and a news story from February 17, 1983. Of course, for those who like their naval news stories more current - or more British - you can check out the HMS Ontario.


Enjoy, folks. And for those whose little lightbulb just clicked ON, no - I will be reviewing no new plans until December so don't even try.

Will

No comments: