This weekend we had a mass convergence on the Dockyard, with the goal of stripping and refinishing the Monomoy's oars, thwarts, platforms, stretchers and bilge boards. Those of you who've been out to working weekends know that as the weekend progresses, and various complications arise and are overcome, I get more and more crotchety. This seems to coordinate with teams near completion of their projects and start goofing around a bit, their mood lightening - which means that the more I growl and shake my fists at people, the more apt they are to laugh it off. Looking back on it, it's always kind of funny.
Saturday was the largest showing, with members from as far north as Washington DC and west as Danville VA came out to help. In and amongst the important statistics I should report - the Dockyard crew polished off 14 pots of coffee and 16 two-liter bottles of Coca Cola. Definately worth reporting. Maybe we should get some sort of hook-up from Coke or Juan Valdez, hmm.
Anyway, back on topic. I'm tired and only on my fourth cup of coffee. Focus.
BTOne thing about yesterday that was interesting was the oar refinishing. I got a last minute tip from John Collamore of the Colonial Seaport Foundation to coat the oars in epoxy before varnishing. We had some extra West System goo that the Spar Team didn't need, so that's what we did. Turned out great, so thanks for the tip, John. But I have to say that having people walking back and forth across the yard from the back forty where they were stripped to the framing bay where they were expoxied, then on to the lofting bay where they were set up for varnishing was like watching an accident waiting to happen - I kept waiting for someone to come running around a corner and get clotheslined by an oar. Fighting the constant battle of where to sand and where to varnish (leeward and windward respectively) was my biggest challenge.
But it was good to see so much activity. And thanks to all those who came out to support operations. Sorry, no photos yet, but we had to rush and cover everything at the last minute due to the onset of darkness and rain yesterday. End result, the woodwork is varnished, oars are just about ready for leathering, and we actually hoisted sail for the first time on Saturday. We just have rigging and the racing stripe left - then we get to see our work pay off a bit - or at least put it to the ultimate test... sea trials.
Two weeks until the 'gruelling test sail'. I need to think of something else to shake fists about, 'cause I'm pretty damned satisfied with the work done so far. Thanks, everyone!